Baby Carrier Regulations
The BCIA is Your Source for Baby Carrier Compliance Assistance.
Contact the BCIA for detailed compliance checklists, lab testing discount information, or to join our Product Registration Service.
Baby Carrier regulations compliance requires substantial effort. Keep the following steps in mind and you’ll come out on top:
- Join the ASTM and purchase the relevant standard: F2236 (SSCs, mei tais and front pack carriers), F2907 (slings, wraps and pouch carriers) or F2549 (frame carriers).
- The European equivalent is the EN-13209-2 standard for carriers with bound leg openings, and the TR-16512 technical report for all other slings and carriers, both of which can be accessed from European Standards.
- Doing business in the US? Familiarize yourself with current CPSIA requirements.
- In addition to ASTM, EN and/or CPSIA labeling requirements, most countries also have a Textile Act that mandates fabric content, care, testing and labeling of textile products. Familiarize yourself with the requirements in your country of business.
- Insurance, while not legally required, protects your personal assets and limits liability.
- Detailed compliance and best practice guidelines for retailers, manufacturers and distributors in the US and Canadian markets are available to active business members both through the member forums, and/or through email. Contact the BCIA today to access these documents.
Components of Compliance
A small sample of the many compliance service providers available to the industry.
Additional Articles On Babywearing Regulations
Statement by BCIA Executive Director
The BCIA wishes to remind parents and caregivers of important tips for monitoring infants while being carried or held in a sling or other container, such as a baby swing, infant car seat, or stroller. Read more →
Product Registration Service
BCIA has negotiated a CPSIA-compliant online product registration system for our members to help bring you into compliance with the product registration requirement of the CPSIA. Read more →